/* Magenet Universal Plugin code */ Philin's Blog: Granny Died Peacefully on May 16, 2007

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Granny Died Peacefully on May 16, 2007

My paternal nonagenarian granny died peacefully on 16th May 2007, a Wednesday while having dinner. As requested, we did a private and small funeral for her where only her children and both my sister and I attended her funeral the following day, before the coffin with granny's body was sent to the crematorium. It was all over the following day that she passed away. The funeral expenses cost about RM3,000 and granny has her savings of about RM4,000. So in effect, she paid for her own funeral. I pray that now granny will rest in peace in a better world where there is no suffering and sickness or weakness. Granny died of old age, healthy to the last minute where she became weaker and weaker until she had to be spoon-fed and her adult pampers changed frequently.

Granny left a legacy to all her kids and children's children. We are all honest working people who work hard like granny did. My beloved granny was widowed young at her late twenties or early thirties and she single-handedly brought up 4 kids by selling laksa, fish-soup salad everyday. Due to the harsh environment, granny was naturally strict with all of us. I was her favorite grandchild and she took care of me while my parents went to work to put bread and butter on the table. Even at the age of 60+, granny still cycled to Jelutong market nearby to buy fish and vegetables to cook dishes for the family. She was a good cook and after dinner, she will water the plants in the garden.

I would like to use my blog and pay tribute to this amazing woman who lived for her children and grandchildren. I have never seen another woman who is more diligent than granny herself who toiled from early in the morning till late at night. Even lying on the bed, granny will still tell me stories of how she had faced difficulty bringing up her 4 children and make sure they have proper education up to Form 5. I must say that my dad was the most successful of all her children and is her favorite filial son who faithfully visited granny in the old folks' home. Dad paid for granny's monthly expenses amounting to RM450 and then RM600 since the beginning of 2007 when she needed more nursing help. I love you, Granny. May Eternal Rest and Peace be upon your Soul in the life after death.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...